Where to Eat (and Drink) Near the Gunks
The main climbing areas of the Gunks are in the town of Gardiner, which has a small number of restaurants. Most of the “nightlife” is in the town of New Paltz, a fun and funky college town, home of the State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz. There are some other nearby towns with notable restaurants, like Rosendale and High Falls. It’s a good idea to know about these other towns, as on busy fall weekends, the traffic back into New Paltz can be a nightmare. This list is by no means exhaustive, but I’ve only listed places that I’ve actually gone to eat at.
Quick summary of the best choices for your needs, and my favorites:
- Mountain Brauhaus, Gardiner – Closest to the crag, filled with climbers (especially the bar seating area), fantastic German & creative gourmet food, local ingredients, huge portions, excellent beer.
- Gilded Otter, New Paltz – fresh micro-brews, bar scene, outdoor seating with nice view, OK food.
- Bacchus, New Paltz – hugest selection of beer, good bar atmosphere with billards, but service is usually poor.
- Gomen Kudasai, New Paltz – real Japanese food, like what they eat in Japan, not the usual American Japanese food. Wonderful and friendly owner.
- Lemongrass, New Paltz – tasty Thai food.
- McGuillicuddy’s, New Paltz – If you want to watch the game, go here for regular bar food and watch sports on multiple big TVs.
- Taco Shack, New Paltz – it ain’t big or pretty, but you’ll get a HUGE tasty burrito here and it’s next to the beer store.
- Rosendale Cafe, Rosendale – lots of vegan and vegetarian choices, plus live music and outdoor seating.
- Rocco’s Pizza – New Paltz – wide variety of types of tasty pizza and yummy garlic knots.
- Cafe Mio, Gardiner – AMAZING foods for breakfast and lunch. Specializes in local produce. Best french toast I’ve ever eaten. Decadent.
- 32 Lunch – a basic diner/coffee shop for lunch & breakfast. Good food & service for liberals and deadheads.
See the map below if you don’t know where these towns are in relation to each other.